My family has been making this salsa since I was a wee little thing. And the stories and memories made into it are very fond. Growing up I loved this salsa so much that one year I asked for a salsa cake for my birthday. So that’s what I got… a big bowl of salsa with a cute little candle in it. I loved every bite. And yes, I did share, (a little.) It is that good.
The secret to getting the best flavor of this salsa is using all FRESH ingredients… from the garlic to the freshly squeezed lime juice.
big bunch of cilantro
1/4-1/2 medium-sized jalapeno
half of a tomatia
1 big basil leaf
1 anaheim pepper
salt to taste (about a tablespoon, or more)
juice from 1/2 lime
2-3 garlic cloves
1/4 white onion
8-10 Roma tomatoes
Blend all ingredients, except tomatoes, together in food processor. Put blended green ingredients in a bowl. Lightly chop tomatoes in food processor about 2-3 at a time so they are chunky. Add tomatoes to the bowl with the green ingredients. Lightly mix. Taste, and add more salt if desired.
And some great healthy tid-bits about cilantro: info below found here
- Powerful anti-inflammatory capacities that may help symptoms of arthritis
- Helps remove heavy metals and other toxic agents from the body
- Aids our digestive system
- Protective agents against bacterial infection from Salmonella in food products
- Acts to increase HDL cholesterol (the good kind), and reduces LDL cholesterol (the bad kind)
- Relief for stomach gas, prevention of flatulence and an overall digestive aid
- Wards off urinary tract infections
- Helps reduce feelings of nausea
- Eases hormonal mood swings associated with menstruation
- Has been shown to reduce menstrual cramping.
- Adds fiber to the digestive tract
- A source of iron, magnesium, and is helpful in fighting anemia
- Gives relief for diarrhea, especially if caused by microbial or fungal infections
- Helps promote healthy liver function.
- Reduces minor swelling
- Strong general antioxidant properties
- Disinfects and helps detoxify the body
- Stimulates the endocrine glands
- Helps with insulin secretion and lowers blood sugar
- Acts as a natural anti-septic and anti-fungal agent for skin disorders like fungal infections and eczema
- Contains immune-boosting properties
- Acts as an expectorant
- Helps ease conjunctivitis, as well as eye-aging, macular degeneration, and other stressors on the eyes.
Amazing! I love cilantro even more now!